I haven't done a nail tutorial or nail post for such a long time which is strange because I love painting my nails and creating cute designs on them. This tutorial, or step by step guide, probably won't be anything new but I loved this design and just really wanted to share it with you all. I also haven't seen a tutorial on this exact nail design.
I was inspired to create this design by Marina Diamandis from Marina and the Diamonds. I adore her and her new album "Electra Heart" and she's become a little bit of a style icon of mine at the moment. I saw a very similar design on her whilst I was watching a video of her singing one of her newer songs. I recently re-watched the video and realised it wasn't daises she had on her nails they were sunflowers so look out for that tutorial soon! As soon as I saw it I knew I needed to re-create it. Obviously mine isn't be as polished and perfect as hers but I was pleased with the results and received lots of compliments. I think this design is perfect for summer and It'll definitely be my "go-to" nail design when I want something extra special on my nails because it's so quick and simple.
|Sorry about the rubbish quality, having computer-camera problems so I had to upload this from instagram|
Step by Step Guide
- Firstly, apply a base coat to your nails to protect the nail from any damage or staining from the coloured polish. I used the No7 'So Smooth' Base Coat.
- Apply a pastel or light blue shade as the base colour. You can use any colour for this but Marina used blue and I liked it. Apply in thin layers until the colour is opaque. I used the No7 Stay Perfect Nail Colour in Minty Fresh.
- Using the tip of a 'bobby pin' or hair slide and dip it into a yellow polish, then dab it onto the centre of the nail to create a small circle to create the stigma of the flower. (I believe that's what it is called but please correct me if I'm wrong). I used O.P.I Nail Lacquer in Fiercely Fiona.
- Then using either another bobby pin/hair slide or a tooth pick (a tooth pick creates a more fine line and is easier to use for this detail but I didn't have any left so I used the hair slide) create flicks/lines coming out of the centre circle to create the petals of the daisy. I used Natural Collection Nail Polish in Nail Tip Whitener.
- Then seal the design with your favourite, long lasting top coat. I used Sally Hansen's Mega Shine Top Coat.
I hope you enjoyed this pretty quick and simple nail design. I really wanted to share it with you because I love it and it's so summery. I hope you re-create this look, if so let me know in the comments or send me a picture via Twitter. I'd love to see! Here is another nail tutorial I've previously done.
What are your favourite summer nail designs? Who's your style icon at the moment?
'Til Next Time,